Sunday, February 14, 2016

Thank You, Donald Trump

Based on the things Donald Trump has said (Mexicans are rapists, let’s ban Muslims, etc.), it’s very hard to argue he’s not racist—or at least that his rhetoric isn’t. In fact when people talk about Trump I tend to hear remarks like “oh my god our country is moving backwards.” However I want to argue that Donald Trump isn't moving us backward and in fact is helping us. That seems like a ridiculous thing to say, so let me explain:

While Donald Trump is the one saying these extreme things, one man alone saying extreme things is not important. But when lots of people start to agree with him and support him, that’s when things become interesting. And yes while there are some followers who don’t believe Trump will enact his ideas and follow him more for his audacity and status as an outsider, I believe there are just as many (if not more) who genuinely believe in his ideas. Just take a look at this clip from CNN after Trump said he wanted to rid the US of Muslims.

I don’t think Trump is actually influencing anyone’s views. I think his supporters have always believed what Trump is saying, but we’re just seeing it now. These people had these views the entire time but now that there’s a high-profile public figure talking about it fearlessly, they feel safer themselves to come out with their views. Seriously, watch the CNN clip again and look at the guy interviewed at 1:10. The reporter presses him to say whether or not he agrees with Trump’s Muslims-removal plan and after looking over both his shoulders cautiously, he says yes. You can feel that he’s uncomfortable saying this because he knows it’s not a popular position. And while I don’t agree with the idea, I totally understand why he’d be scared to say something like this.

And this is why Trump is actually really important and helpful: he is empowering people to say what they believe. This shows everyone else what we’re actually dealing with. We will never be able to change peoples ideas if we don’t really know what they are. I mean, think back to the guy from the CNN clip. How could we possibly hold a meaningful conversation and attempt to understand why he feels the way he does if we never even knew how he really felt.

Here’s the bottom line: I agree with almost nothing that Trump says. But he has proved to us that we have a lot more work to do than we thought. And for that we owe him thanks.

5 comments:

  1. What are your thoughts on Trump taking office, implementing his plan, then having our country take a turn for the worst. What effect do you think this will play on his supporters [ also take into consideration for Bush's current stature ]

    -Jabril

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey. I think he will not win. I don't think the Republican party really wants him, and if worse comes to worse I don't think congress will allow him to pass his plans. However I do think that if he were somehow able to pass his plans America might actually experience some serious negative consequences...

      Delete
  2. I hope one of those Republican nutjobs becomes President. I want them to mess the whole world up so bad that WW3 starts. Like you said, all these POS have decided to come out of the woodwork and it disgusts me knowing that people are so inhumane to agree with the nonsense that troll doll is spewing.

    I feel like all Americans care about is killing people and making money. I have been made to feel less than human because of my skin color and I am sick of it. I can't be in a world where my whole life has to be devoted to proving that I am a human being that should be able to life his life as long as I'm not killing or exploiting others.

    Change will never happened since tptb learned from their past mistakes. They are trying their best to change the game so that they will always have the easiest time winning. I refuse to life my life as if it is some big contest. As if I have to "prove" things to people. Fight for people to accept me even though they'd rather see me dead or back in my homeland.

    I curse my parents for leaving their homeland for a "better life." I curse my ancestors for doing the same. I curse this evil world and I hope the theory that the world ends and God does a better time making people because I just cannot with all of this mess.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm really sorry you've been made to feel that way...it angers me that people feel that way in the world, and especially when it's caused by other people.

    Part of me feels like saying that they won't change just if we're angry, that they have to be shown respectfully why they're wrong or no progress will come about. But I also get that that is so difficult, and I can't blame you for feeling the way you do.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I not voting for Donald Trump but there are some things he talks about I believe in. For example, he thinks Common Core education is terrible and must be stopped. There are other things too. I think the media paints him as a completely horrible person but I think there is good and some good things he believes and beliefs I stand by.

    ReplyDelete